A database is a structured set of data; organized and stored on a computer system to be accessed when needed and in various ways. cPanel allows you to create and manage a database as well as its users. MySQL is the most popular Open Source SQL Database management system. To manage a huge volume of data efficiently, we store the data in tables, a group of many tables can be created in a single database. This interface allows you to create and manage the existing MySQL databases.
Here is how to create a new MySQL database
- Log in to cPanel
- Navigate to ‘Databases’ section and click on MySQL Database
- Under Create New Database, in the New Database text box, type the name of the database
- Click ‘Create Database.’ cPanel will create the database for you.
Note that when you create a database, your username becomes the prefix to the database name. For example, if your username is reuben, and you create a database named database, the actual MySQL database name is reuben_database.
How To Add A Database User On cPanel
Besides creating a database, cPanel also allows you to add a database user and specify their privileges.
Here is how to add a database user on cPanel
- Login to cPanel
- Navigate to the ‘DATABASES’ section and click on MySQL Databases
- Under ‘Add User to Database’, in the User list box, select the user that you want to add to the database.
- In the ‘Database’ list box, select the database and click ‘Add’
How To Change A Database User
Once you have added a user to your database, you can change their passwords depending on what they would like to have, if they forget it, or as a security precaution.
Here is how to change a database user’s password on cPanel
- Log in to cPanel
- Navigate to DATABASES section
- Click on MySQL Database under DATABASES
- Under Current Users, locate the user for which you want to change the password, and then click Change Password
- In the Password text box, type the new password and then type the password again in the subsequent Password text box
For a stronger password, you can click on ‘PASSWORD GENERATOR.’ cPanel will randomly generate one for you. It is good to ensure you/the user copy the password and store in a safe place.
- Once you click ‘CHANGE PASSWORD’ the new password takes effect immediately.
Stronger passwords are insurance against attacks. Guard against the ever-increasing danger of brute-force attacks by ensuring you have the best password. In case of any queries on Databases or any of our products and services, always feel free to reach out to our customer support team.