Domains management is a crucial part of running a website. The DirectAdmin panel makes it easy to set up a new domain name, create addon domains, subdomains and change a domain name.
In this tutorial, we will cover how to complete each of these tasks in DirectAdmin, under the Account Manager section.
In this section on the dashboard, you can find existing domain names and add new domain names(addon domain). An addon domain is a domain that points to a subdirectory within your primary account. With addon domains, you can host multiple websites with separate domain names on your hosting account.
To add a domain name, follow these steps;
- Log in to DirectAdmin.
- Under the Account Manager section on the DirectAdmin dashboard, click on Domain Setup.
- Click on the Add New tab to add a domain name.
- On the next prompt, fill in the domain name and allocate bandwidth, disk usage and configure the other options as desired.
- Then click Create to add a domain name to the DirectAdmin control panel.
After setting up your domain name, update your Domain name servers and wait for the domain propagation process to complete before accessing it on the web.
A subdomain is a domain that is part of a larger domain, based upon a prefix name that you choose. You can use subdomains to create separate areas on your website that are accessible. i.e.., shoes.yourdomainname.com.
Follow these steps to add a subdomain;
- In the Account Manager section of the home screen, click on Subdomain Management.
- Under Sub-Domains Setup, click on Add Subdomain tab.
- Type the name of the subdomain that you want to add in the text box.
- Click Add Subdomain. You can add content to the subdomain by placing files in the subdomain’s document root.
After the domain propagation process, you can now access your subdomain on your website.
How to change a Domain Name
To rename a domain name, follow these steps;
1. Log in to Direct Admin.
2. Navigate to the Account Manager section in the left bar area of the dashboard.
3. Go to Domain Setup.
4. Under Domain Setup, click on the Rename button.
5. Select the Old Domain that you want to change from the drop-down menu.
6. Enter the New Domain.
7. After the domain name is updated, a ‘Domain name has been successfully changed’ confirmation message will appear.
After you have changed your domain name, you may also need to update the configuration of your site/scripts to use the new domain name.
If you need help setting up a domain or changing your domain name, contact our support team here, and we will be ready to help!