As a business owner, having your email address in the public domain exposes you to many unsolicited emails. Having spam filters in place will minimize the risk of people spamming your business email.
In this tutorial, we will go through how to set up spam filters in DirectAdmin. But first, you need to understand how spam filters work.
Spam filters monitor your received emails and flag those that apply to any criteria have set on your filter to either be dropped or sent straight to spam. Here are some of the triggers they look out for;
- The reputation of the IP address and the domain name of the sender
- Prior relationship with the sender
- Relevance of subject line to the content
- Safety of links
- Images and text of the email
If an email does not meet any of the criteria, it is sent to the spam folder or dropped altogether from reaching the recipient.
Use these steps to set up Spam Filters in DirectAdmin;
- Login to DirectAdmin.
- Under Email Manager, select the Spam Filter icon.
- Select the criteria you wish to filter incoming email by under Block by.
- To block a specific email address, input the email address in the text box and click the Block button.
- To block emails from a domain name, type in the domain name in the text box and then click the Block button.
- Block an email with larger files by specifying the size in the text box.
- You can also block emails with various keywords that match your filter criteria. i.e.., promo, free, etc.
- You can prevent adult content by clicking on the Disable button at the bottom of the page.
- Then click on the Save button to update the new settings.
You can delete any filter by selecting it and then click the Delete Selected button.
By setting up spam filters, you will prevent your business from receiving unsolicited emails. Ensure that you are also cautious in opening your emails and avoid clicking through emails from dubious sources. Plus, following good email practices when dealing with such emails will protect you from phishing and malware attacks.
Need any help setting up spam filters? Contact our support team via live chat and firstname.lastname@example.org.