A blog is an excellent way to express yourself creatively and it can do wonders for promoting your small business. Whether you want to pursue a passion project or market your e-commerce site, blogging has been main stream for years, and with good reason.
In this blog post, we take you through setting up a blog from the ground up. Let us get started!
1. Pick your blog niche. Your niche gives your blog identity and dictates the type of content you publish. Think about what interests you most about the world, and then try to convey that through your blog posts. It will help you stay motivated and keep your content fresh on your blogging journey. For example, if you love fashion, you could write about the latest trends in the industry. If you are a foodie, you could write about the best recipes. If you love to travel, you could start a travel blog to document your experiences.
2. Pick a blog name. Your blog name is the first thing people will see when they visit your site. It is crucial to pick something catchy, unique, and relevant to your niche to set yourself apart online. You can use a domain name generator to help you brainstorm blog names. You can also ask friends and family for suggestions and then use a domain search tool to find out which names are available.
3. Blogging platform. Your blogging platform allows you to share the content you create with the world. There are many different CMS (Content Management System) platforms out there to help you create a blog. The best blogging platform is custom-tailored to your needs and style. WordPress is a popular open-source platform that offers more functionality and is easy to use. It lets you style your blog using themes and add new features to manage your site.
4. Purchase a hosting plan. Nothing is more important than choosing the right hosting plan. We highly recommend our popular hosting packages that are reliable, secure, and with extra features to help you effectively manage your site. Plus, they are flexible and allow you to upgrade as your blog grows.
5. Register your domain name. Picking a winning domain is not complicated. If you choose something short, unique, memorable, and consistent with your brand, you will make a good impression. Getting the right domain name is vital for building a solid online presence, so we have some tips to help you pick the right domain name.
6. Customize your blog. Once you have picked your domain name and hosting plan, you will need to customize your blog to reflect your brand. The look and feel of your site depend on your blog niche and your individual preferences. If you need help choosing the blog theme and customizing your templates, we have a variety of pre-built WordPress websites you can choose from.
7. Create blog content. Once you set up your blog, you can start creating blog content. While the technical process of starting a blog is easy, creating content that draws in traffic requires both planning and effort. Luckily, we have a few content ideas where you can draw inspiration and get the ball rolling.
8. Promote your blog on social. Social media is your best bet to get your blog content out there. Use social platforms to connect with your new audiences and build engagement. Once you have set up your social media profiles and begun sharing content, you will want to promote your blog posts on social media by using social media buttons and shares. It will help you increase your followers and build awareness of your blog so that people are aware when you publish new content.
Starting a blog is relatively easy. Keeping it going is the challenging part. As your readership grows, you need to publish fresh content consistently to keep them engaged. However, as long as you have a plan and are dedicated, you can meet your blogging goals.
Ready to start a blog? We can help! Contact us here.