Safer Internet Day is dedicated to promoting a safer online experience for everyone. It is crucial to be aware of the different risks that come with using the internet and to take steps to protect yourself and others. Taking proactive steps to be aware of the potential risks can help reduce the likelihood of being exposed to cyber threats.
Related: Safer Internet Day: Reflecting on children’s online safety
In this guide, we will go through tips for creating a safer and secure internet environment at home.
1. When using the internet at home, set up security measures such as antivirus software and firewalls. These can help protect devices from malicious attacks and viruses, as well as protect personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers. Additionally, be aware of potential scams and phishing emails that may attempt to gain access to private information.
2. Set up family rules and guidelines for internet use, such as not sharing passwords, not clicking on suspicious links, and not responding to online requests from strangers. Be vigilant in updating passwords, browsing habits, and security software and track potential cyber threats. It is also wise to be aware of the sites and applications used, as some may be more vulnerable to cyber threats. Additionally, create a secure online environment for children and teenagers by setting parental controls on devices, such as blocking inappropriate sites and monitoring activity.
3. Use a kid-friendly search engine. It is crucial to set up age-appropriate search engines for children and teenagers, as this will help limit access to more sensitive online content. Additionally, be aware of any age restrictions that may be in place on sites and applications, as this can help protect children from being exposed to inappropriate content.
4. Educate family members about safe internet use and how to identify suspicious activity. Ensure they are mindful of the potential risks associated with using the internet and take steps to reduce those risks. Establishing a family policy for online safety is a great way to ensure everyone can benefit from the internet without compromising their safety.
5. Finally, be aware of any changes to online privacy requirements and take steps to ensure that personal data is kept private. It includes ensuring that websites being visited are secure and that any sensitive personal information is not shared with third parties. Additionally, regularly check the privacy setting of websites and apps to ensure user data is shared according to the user’s preferences.
Online safety is an ongoing effort, and it is crucial to stay informed and diligent to keep yourself and your family safe. By taking proactive steps to protect yourself and your family, you can ensure a safer online experience for everyone.
Related: Internet Safety for Kids: Online Dangers